1-2 white cabbage heads, finely shredded
2 tbs sea salt
3 tbs grated ginger
2 beetroot peeled and grated
3 carrots, grated
2 star anise, ground in a coffee grinder
1. You can use a Kilner jar which you can buy in most hardware stores (one with a rubber seal and clasp) or else you can use a wide mouth glass jar with a tea towel and rubber band.
2. Place all the ingredients in a bowl in batches, sprinkling each batch with a layer of sea salt. I find the best way to release the juices is by massaging it with your hands until it breaks down and becomes soft. You might want to wear a pair of protective gloves.
3. Pack very tightly into jars, pushing it all down until it is completely submerged by liquid. The most important thing is to make sure it all stays under the liquid or the top will turn mouldy, I usually weigh it down with another glass jar sitting inside.
4. Close the top of the jar or place a tea towel over it and place a rubber band on the outside so nothing can creep in but air.
5. Let it ferment on your counter for 4-8 weeks, depending on how you would like it to taste.
6. When you are ready to eat it, transfer it to the refrigerator where it will keep for a few months
7. Enjoy with breakfast lunch and/or dinner, it will help you digest your meals along having many other health properties.