This coconut soup is a delicious & nutritious Thai inspired dish. This is a great dish to make for a dinner party. Make sure you use wild caught prawns as farmed prawns can be toxic.
2 tbs coconut oil or butter
2 shallots, minced
2 red chillies, minced
1 inch piece of ginger, minced
3 lemongrass stalks, outer layer removed and cut into 3 pieces
8 oz shitake mushrooms, sliced
6 cups chicken stock
1 can coconut milk
4 tbs tamari
7 kaffir lime leaves
8 oz sugar snap peas
1 lb prawns
2 tsp fish sauce
2 tbs lime juice
Coriander chopped, for garnish
- Heat a large pot on medium heat. Add the oil and sauté shallots, chillies, ginger, lemongrass, and pinch of salt until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms, stir, and cook until shallots just start to soften, about 5 minutes. Deglaze with a small amount of stock.
- Add coconut milk, stock, tamari, and kaffir lime leaves. Bring to a simmer. Simmer lightly for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the peas and prawns and continue to simmer for about 4/5 more minutes, until prawns cooked through.
- Add lime juice, taste and season with tamari, fish sauce and more lime juice if needed.
- Try and take out the lemon grass and lime leaves as they are not edible. Sprinkle with a generous amount of coriander and taste the wonderful flavours.
Recipe by Nicky Halliday